Monday, September 21, 2009

scenic drive on a sunday evening

After the storm that had been annoying everyone all day Sunday finally decided to leave, my friends Danielle, Christina and I decided to go on a "scenic drive". It was a spur of the moment decision, but I am glad it was made. We drove out to this road that I had never seen nor heard of before called Old Frankfort Pike, "one of America's best scenic byways" and one of the "top 10 great but obscure drives" (according to USA Today).

I can't believe I've lived in Lexington for 4.5 years and had never heard of it until yesterday. It's really close to our house too, took only about 15 minutes to get to it. It was a very pleasant surprise and I plan on going back. (I didn't take the first picture, it's from the spring, but it shows the general view of it so you can get a good understanding for it)


When the three of us got to the road we rolled down the windows, turned on some necessary country music for the ambiance, and enjoyed the view. It was almost sunset so the colors and the sky made everything that much more scenic. It was a view full of rolling hills, rows of fences, cows and horses, corn fields, and old stone walls. There weren't any ugly billboards, graffiti, or gas stations around to ruin it, and so the view was uninterrupted and of course, beautiful. It was the cliche image you'd expect of Kentucky if you'd never been to it before. It reminds me a bit of Versailles road out by Keeneland, but a lot narrower, less crowded, and more relaxing. I brought my camera along and took the above photo, as well as the next few.

We ended up pulling over by one of the giant horse farm entrances to pet a few horses that had wandered over close to the fences.
We drove by some massive and expensive horse farms that are probably the farms owned by the people responsible for the Keeneland and Derby racing horses. We even saw the one farm owned by the crazy rich oil sheik from the United Arab Emirates. It made us all jealous we couldn't live out there. So, if you live in Lexington and have a spare hour some day, I highly recommend you take a drive out there. It's worth it.




No comments:

Post a Comment