Thursday, October 1, 2009

a stroll in the park

It's finally autumn! I am very happy about this because honestly, I was getting tired of my summer wardrobe choices. Plus the fall colors are really just much more flattering for my hair color. But that is not the point. The point is it feels awesome outside because I am not basking in my own sweat. To celebrate this momentous occassion of it looking like summer (the leaves aren't fun colors yet) but feeling like fall, Christina (a.k.a. "Tian") and I decided to take a little trip to this park by our house. It's called Woodland Park, and we are a bit obsessed with it.

It has all the best amenities such as a swing-set, playground for kids 12 and under (we may or may not break that rule) skate park, tennis courts, a pool, and grassy areas where you can lay on a blanket and have intense life discussions about boys- or maybe get preached to and told you are going to hell by a local minister who insults the Catholic church and tells you that when you go to mass all you do is recite Latin and get "sprinkled". Maybe that doesn't happen to everyone when they relax at the park, but that is just my personal experience... Tian and I frequently walk around this park and admire all the old Victorian homes, but that day I decided to use my "good camera" for a photo-shoot. It was like senior pictures, only better. We used to do this all the time back when I was in photo class, so it was a return to those good old days of awkwardly photographing someone in public and getting odd looks. I decided to take one of Tian's portraits in front of this very awesome blue painted house, and while doing so we got to enjoy the sounds of a random homeless man reading a book out loud at a very high volume. The quote: "she looked exquisite. Exquisite I say!" is probably the excerpt that stands out to me the most. Also I decided that wherever I live in the future, it MUST have a balcony with the following design (upper right hand corner)
->

So, all in all, that was a fun little trip. We went back to the park today and the same man was there, in a different location, reading again. Maybe next time we should sit down and listen because now I am curious as to what was so "exquisite".

On a different note, last night I stayed up until 3:30am with my roommates Kristine and Sarah because of a scary incident that went down. Sarah's room is on the first floor and faces our back porch. She heard footsteps on the porch and someone moving around our lounge chair. It unnerved her a bit I'm guessing, so she called Kristine into her room. They heard more movement underneath Sarah's window, and so they guessed it was probably a local homeless man who wanted to sleep on our lounge chair but, upon realizing it was too cold, decided to try for our cellar. He was probably trying to kick through the window on the ground to get in, but was unsuccessful. The noises stopped for a while but then started up again. I heard the words "man/backyard" and so came downstairs to see what the deal was. We were a little freaked out, and since you never know if the creeper on your back porch is normal or deranged, violent, and on acid, we decided to call the non-emergency number of the UK Police Department. We went into the foyer to wait for the officer, and during this point I heard a weird scraping sound and then a knock or something on our front family room window. The three of us were freaked out and all ducked down because we were paranoid there was a person on our front porch. It was a scary moment, I think I was shaking a little bit. Probably just my imagination running wild, but still. The cops arrived about 2 minutes later. It still is confusing to me what that was on our front porch if not the creeper though... Anyways, the cops "scanned the perimeter" and told us all was clear. We then double bolted all our doors. Then we ate some chocolate chip cookies to feel better, and it worked. Also we watched a youtube video about a puppy: (click this to watch it, it is both hilarious and sad at the same time) and went to bed. Also today I discovered that when the 3 roommates who slept through this ordeal heard that cops came to our house, 2/3 of them instantly asked "were they hot?" before asking any other possibly more important questions. Wow. I will keep my readers updated about any more back porch creepin!

PS, Sarah a.k.a. Stalbs gets to have a picture in this blog because she is the hero of the week for noticing the porch creeper's presence. And for living in the room that the other roommates would be unable to handle due to their low tolerance of scary-ness versus Stalbs' high tolerance and bat wielding skills:

No comments:

Post a Comment