Tuesday, October 6, 2009

football time in the bluegrass!

This Saturday the University of Kentucky football team had it's fourth game of the season. Despite the fact that we lost the game.. badly.. it was still a fun time thanks to the lovely invention of TAILGATING! The game was an early one, and my parents decided to drive down to Lexington for it. Since it was soooo early though (12:30pm) we didn't have our official tailgate event until after the game. Before the game however we set up a table, ate some Busken Bakery pumpkin cookies (yes!) and took some photos with the wildcat themed tent of our tailgating neighbor. We did this also in order to show off our amazing tattoos. During this time Danielle was mauled by a wildcat. It was intense.

Once the parentals and my friends ate as much dessert as we could in a 15 minute time span, we decided to go find my brother. He is in a fraternity and so, naturally, was celebrating the pre-game time with his frat brothers and the 2 sororities assigned to share their tailgate. It is interesting to note that despite standing in muddy fields and walking far distances, the sorority girls always dress up for these events. Blue sun dresses and accessories everywhere!

So, we found my brother in the lot by GoodBarn Field, and he was extremely happy to see us- not that the kegs and drinks available had anything to do with his reaction of course! My Dad wanted a drink, and so, in true fraternity fashion my brother yelled out "pledge!" in hopes that a younger member would come do this chore for him. If only everyone had a pledge that could follow them around all the time, life would be so much simpler. UK Tailgates can get a bit crazy, but this one was fairly tame. No fights going on that I noticed, and the people weren't as drunk. However there were of course a lot of cornhole boards set up, country music blaring, and alumnae trying to start up the CATS cheer.
Eventually, the actual football game began. There aren't too many exciting things to say about that. UK got killed after several errors in the first half. Highlights included eating some pricy stadium food and having some nice chats with my parents and Christina though. So, after the game the four of us left and returned to our tailgating spot for our first ever "post-tailgate". My Dad grilled up some hotdogs for everybody, and then we threw frisbee around. Danielle and Christina kept hitting my dad's car thanks to their marvelous coordination skills, so that didn't last for too long! It was a nice time though, just hanging out and enjoying the fall weather. My friends and I had some nice chats with my parents about topics ranging from convents to the swine flu. It was just a relaxing day, and I am always happy to partake in the fine UK tradition of tailgating! The icing on the cake of this fun, chocolate-filled day was when my boyfriend John made a special appearance during the last 15 minutes of our tail-gate :) I had wanted him to come earlier to be able to fully experience a true UK event, but work situations tied him up. I am glad he got to come to part of it though, even if he was exposed to hearing awkward childhood stories courtesy of John and Maryann (my folks).

Since John W. missed out on one UK tradition, I decided to make him partake in another one later that night for dinner. We went to Pazzo's Pizza Pub, and enjoyed a great collegiate combination: Pizza and Beer. Can't go wrong there. Overall it was a good day for football, let's just hope we win the next game for a change!

No comments:

Post a Comment